It’s cold outside. As in, “we are concerned about our trailer’s pipes freezing in the middle of the night” cold. Praying our heated hose arrives in the next few days before the cold REALLY sets in (did you even know they made those? I didn’t!)
But, you know what’s awesome when it is cold outside? Blankets. And warm socks. And fuzzy slippers. And hot, healthy soup.
And, hence, this recipe.
I love cabbage and have had some fun coming up with amazingly delicious recipes that use up this inexpensive and nourishing vegetable, which is also quite volumous (i.e. gives a lot of eye candy in the amount of bulk you get to eat without a lot of stomach hurting or weight gaining concerns).
Yep, cabbage rocks. I need to buy some more.
Beef & Cabbage Soup (THM S and Gluten/Grain-free)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 8-10 cups water or broth
- 2 tbsp dried basil (or more to taste)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- In large soup pot, begin by spraying or pouring in a little oil for browning the ground beef. Stir frequently and chopping the meat up so it breaks into smaller pieces.
- Add diced onions, carrots, and celery to the pot and stir until onions are translucent.
- Add chopped cabbage and stir to coat the cabbage with the flavors and mixture of the beef and vegetables.
- Once the cabbage has cooked down slightly (3-5 minutes), add in the water/broth until the cabbage is floating easily and the mixture looks like a soup, rather than a thick vegetable pot with some liquid (You may need a little more water/broth depending on the size of your cabbage head).
- Add seasonings, adjusting to taste, and bring the whole pot to boil.
- Reduce to simmering for 30 minutes and enjoy.
- Top with some optional pieces of diced avocado for an additional texture that is also healthy and delicious!